July 31 - October 27
Solo Exhibit featuring Cole Swavely
On view July 31 – October 27
Reception: October 12, 6pm-8pm
Warrior Way Gallery
25 Jun 19
From: COLE SWAVELY, ARTIST, LT USN
Subj: ARTIST’S STATEMENT 25 Jun 19
Ref: (a) Wedding Vows
(b) OPNAVINST 3120.32D Standard Organization and Regulations of the U.S. Navy, 16 Jul 12
(c) ART RULES, Sister Corita Kent, ca. 1960
(d) Meditations, Marcus Aurelius
(e) Artist’s Statement, Cole Swavely, January 2019
- Purpose: To set forth intentions pursuant to the art practice of Cole Swavely (hereafter referred to alternatively as THE ARTIST and THE OFFICER). Public and private concerns shall be addressed along with situating THE ARTIST’s practice within the contemporary artistic and historical discourse.
- Supersession: Previous Artist’s Statements (ref e). Supersession does not entail cancellation.
- Context: THE OFFICER is a LIEUTENANT in the UNITED STATES NAVY serving as XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX at the XXXXXX XX XXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX. THE ARTIST is attempting to maintain a productive studio practice despite time constraints imposed by the duties of THE OFFICER.
- LIFE GOALS
- GOOD HUSBAND (ref a)
- GOOD OFFICER (ref b)
- GOOD ARTIST (ref c)
- GOOD PERSON (ref d)
- STANDING CRITICAL CONCERNS
- CURRENT CRITICAL CONCERNS
- TENSION: Public and private practice, official duties versus personal concerns. Overt sympathies and opinions versus classified knowledge and access.
- NARRATIVE: Subjectivity of truth from varying viewpoints, experimentation with institutions of storytelling.
- RITUAL: Applied to day-to-day work and fitness practice, inherent value and knowledge in Standard Operating Procedures and repetition.
- AESTHETICS OF VIOLENCE: The communion with imagery in its manual reproduction and the current complicity in the greater machinery of violence.
- MASCULINITY: The Unseen Body, immersion in a hypermasculine culture, perceptions of self, and self improvement efforts.
- PRIMARY SUBJECT MATTER
- CONFLICT IMAGERY: Color, kinematics, narrative.
- MILITARY HARDWARE: Efficiency and specialty of form and function.
- LITERATURE: Starting point.
- SERVICEMEMBERS: Starting point for larger series, vestige of previous graduate work.
- SELF: Interest in portraying ideas of self indirectly.
- THE ARTIST shall continue to use ART as a primary means for achieving LIFE GOALS
- THE ARTIST shall remain committed to making art and engaging in critical discussion with colleagues.
- THE ARTIST shall be happy whenever he can manage it.
- THE ARTIST shall continue to apply a critical mind to all that he comes in contact with.
- THE ARTIST shall support THE OFFICER in order to be a GOOD OFFICER.
- RESPONSIBILITY: THE ARTIST shall maintain a critical and professional distance from THE OFFICER so as not to infringe on his service.
- ARTISTIC INTENT: To live a full and meaningful life and to tell the story as it unfolds for whoever is inclined to listen or watch.
C P SWAVELY