THE FAMILY SERVES TOO: MILITARY SPOUSE EXHIBITION
January 9, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
When many people think of military individuals, the immediate image that comes to mind are the brave men and women who have served or are actively serving our country. However, on the home front, veterans may have a military spouse or partner caring for them, making sacrifices and serving in their own way. Their experience is a unique one and includes challenges, stressors, and experiences different than the civilian experience. The military family serves too, and military spouses or caregivers are no exception.
The WMAI invites all military spouses and caregivers for retired service members to submit a single artwork. WMAI recognizes that military spouses and caregivers sacrifice and serve, just like their partners. WMAI wants to honor and welcome their experiences, identities, and stories expressed in original artwork in a variety of art media, materials, and processes. This exhibition will be a space for reflection and expression of the military spouse or caregiver experience while reaching out to the larger community. A short bio should be included with the artwork detailing the artist’s
and/or spouse’s military and artistic background. This exhibition will open January 11th and continue until March 21st. All are encouraged to submit to this exhibition highlighting the important spouses and caregivers serving alongside our military.
- Only original artwork, no reproductions.
- Only work from military spouses & caregivers will be considered and only one artwork will be considered per person.
- 3D work can not exceed a 15″ print. If work is fragile artist may be asked to provide a case. Artwork should be framed and ready to hang and/or display. No saw-tooth hangers. Each framed work should come with hanging wire properly installed on the rear of the frame.
- Every submission must include the completed and signed permission form, an image of the work to be displayed and a short bio about the artist Once notified, all accepted work must be delivered to the Workhouse Arts Center by Thursday January 9th, 2020.
- Show is installed on Friday January 10th, 2020.
- Exhibition opens in building 9A on Saturday January 11th, 2020.
- Work will be on view from January 11th to March 21st.
- Limited viewing hours of the exhibition space will include: Weds – Sat, 10 am – 4 pm.
- Unsold artwork must be picked up by March 29th, 2020.