- This event has passed.
Veterans Day Open House!
November 10, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 6:00 pmFree
Join us on Saturday, November 10th for our Veterans Day Open House.
The Open House is designed to help raise awareness in the community about the Workhouse Military in the Arts Initiative (WMAI) which through grant-funding, donations and fundraising helps heal Veterans and their families through Arts workshops and Art Therapy.
Here at WMAI, we have a creative, holistic approach to providing community assistance to our Nation’s armed forces military family members. Our unique method features therapeutic arts practices as well as arts courses to enhance the quality of life and to promote rehabilitation, coping skills and family functioning and togetherness.
On Saturday, November 10th, join us in building W16 for the following, free, family-friendly, events:
- Open Studio in the WMAI classroom from 12pm -3pm for Military and their families:
The WMAI Open Studio is intended to foster creativity and encourage experimentation in an atmosphere of cultural exchange, conversation, encouragement, and freedom of expression. The Open Studio is monitored and run by Yonsenia White, MS, ATR (Registered Art Therapist, Resident in Counseling). Designed to bring Military families, Veterans, Retirees, Active Duty and Reservists together, the WMAI Open Studio allows the current or former Service Member a chance to express themselves artistically, and work alongside fellow Service Members in a safe and creativity-fueled environment.
- Military Family Community Mural Project in the Vulcan Muse from 12pm -3pm:
To kick off WMAI’s Veteran’s Day Open House, we are sponsoring a community mural art project created by military families as one of several themed events happening on Saturday, November 10th. There are a multitude of military families in our area who make the daily sacrifices for our country and on this Veteran’s Day, we want to celebrate each family member for your ongoing support! Here at WMAI, we just LOVE military families!In the Muse Gallery in Building W-16 from 12-3pm, military family members are encouraged to decorate a paper heart with an inspirational message and/or image for other military families in our community. They will create one for the mural project and another for themselves. It will be a time of celebration and honor for our Nation’s Armed Forces service members and families to share stories, build community and interact with each other through the visual arts. After all the hearts are created, we will mount them onto a large canvas to be permanently displayed in Building W-9 (Workhouse Military in the Arts Initiative Program) where our Recovery Forge Studio is also located.
- The “At Home Heroes” closing reception and “Telling Our Stories: Artist-Veterans in Our Community” opening reception from 4pm -6pm in Warrior Way- opening remarks from 4:15-4:30pm in Warrior Way
- Recovery Forge- Open Studio Forging from 12pm -5pm in W9A
If you are a Military Veteran, Active Duty or Retired, Every weekend join Adam Porras of Recovery Forge for free open studio time in forging. Recovery Forge’s main mission is to teach blacksmithing and bladesmithing to Wounded Warriors, Active Military, Veterans, and First Responders. Learn more about Recovery Forge and “like” their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/recoveryforge
- Enjoy a 10% discount on all art sales throughout the campus for current and former Servicemembers.
- Ongoing Tuition Assistance for Service Members!Those who serve in the armed forces face unique challenges, such as frequent moves, unusual work schedules, stress, trouble sleeping, and more. These challenges make it increasingly difficult to participate in social activities that can benefit a student’s mental, behavioral and social health. The Workhouse Art Center – Military in the Arts Initiative understands these challenges and is honored to back our military through tuition assistance in support of a service member’s personal goals in the therapeutic and healing qualities of the arts. This tuition assistance is open to all those who do or have served in any of the military service branches including the National Guard and reservists. Forms will be available to fill out that day!