ART THERAPY PROGRAM AND SERVICES
WMAI is excited to provide clinical individual and group art psychotherapy services for our military veterans, family members and caregivers through our Art Therapy Program. Our Art Therapist, Alyssa Goggan, MA, ATR-P, LGPC, LGPAT. She is supporting our Military in the Arts Initiative by providing FREE individual and/or group art therapy, operating the weekly Open Studio and conducting other therapeutic art workshops for our military community with area mental health professionals, military base personnel and Workhouse staff.
The Art Therapy Program provides:
• FREE individual art therapy and group art therapy sessions (6-8 people)
• Veterans (active duty, retired, reservists), their families and care givers (age 10+)
• Creative, non-threatening, therapeutic environment by a clinical art therapist (private practice model)
Eligible Clients are:
• Seeking adjunctive art therapy environment
• Already engaged in ongoing outpatient psychotherapy (required for art therapy services)
• Emotionally stabilized, higher functioning (not in crisis); Service dogs welcome
• Open to using artistic materials & processes to improve and restore mental health functioning (no previous art experience necessary)
If you have questions or would like to receive more information about individual or group art therapy, please contact email@example.com or call her confidential voicemail at 703-584-2929.
STATEMENT ON ART THERAPY
“Art therapy is a mental health profession in which clients, facilitated by the art therapist, use art media, the creative process, and the resulting artwork to explore their feelings, reconcile emotional conflicts, foster self-awareness, manage behavior and addictions, develop social skills, improve reality orientation, reduce anxiety, and increase self-esteem. It can also advance societal and ecological change. A goal in art therapy is to improve or restore a client’s functioning and his or her sense of personal well-being.
-American Art Therapy Association (AATA), arttherapy.org
LINKS AND PAPERWORK
Please see below a list of paperwork and additional resources regarding the Workhouse Military in the Arts Initiative, art therapy services.